viernes, 27 de enero de 2017

TODAY'S IDIOM: A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT

"A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT"
 



Not enough to be useful.

Example: The government's attempts at reform were a day late and a dollar short.

Siempre tarde y nunca es suficiente.

Example sentences:

  • The office worker tried his best to please his boss. Unfortunately, he was a day late and a dollar short. It was his office-mate who received the promotion / El oficinista hizo todo lo posible por complacer a su jefe, desafortunadamente, llegó tarde y no fue suficiente. Fue su compañero de oficina quien recibió el ascenso.

He finally tried to fix the problem but he was a day late and a dollar short. - See more at: http://idiomaticexpressions.org/content/day-late-and-dollar-short#sthash.Exq69sho.dpuf
  • He finally tried to fix the problem but he was a day late and a dollar short / Finalmente trató de solucionar el problema pero fue tarde y no suficiente.

Additional examples:

  • Despite her desire to help me in my studies, she was a day late and a dollar short. I had failed my exam already.
 
  • I was a day late and a dollar short in submitting my requirements. As a result, my teacher gave me a D.

  • Tommy, you seem to show up a day late and a dollar short all the time. You need to get organized.




El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario