martes, 17 de enero de 2017

TODAY'S IDIOM: A WHITE LIE

"A WHITE LIE"



If you tell a white lie, you say something that isn't true in order to be polite or so as not to hurt someone's feelings.

Example: I really didn't want to go to my boss's dinner party, so I told a white lie and said I had to go to a friend's wedding party that night.

Una mentura piadosa.

Example sentences:

  • Sometimes it's better to tell a white lie than to tell someone a painful truth / A veces es mejor decir una mentira piadosa que decirle a alguien una verdad dolorosa.

  • Jack asked me how he looked after his operation, so I told a white lie and said he looked great / Jack me preguntó como se veía despúes de su operación, entonces le dije una mentira piadosa, que se veía estupendo.

Additional examples:

  • I don't see the harm in telling the occasional white lie if it spares someone's feelings.

  • Every little white lie you tell is still a lie and it is still meant to mislead people.




El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario