martes, 12 de febrero de 2013

TODAY'S IDIOM: BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE

"BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE"



Stuck between two very bad options.

Example: I couldn't make up my mind. I was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Entre la espada y la pared.

  • I'm caught between a rock and a hard place; If I go with Isabel, it'll be much more expensive and if I go with Julie, Isabel probably won't speak to me again / Estoy entre la espada y la pared; si voy con Isabel, va a ser mucho más caro y si voy con Julie, Isabel probablemente no vuelvas a hablarme.

  • I'm between a rock and a hard place, on one hand I can go to the movies with my friends, or I can choose to go to dinner with my lovely girlfriend / Estoy entre la espada y la pared, por un lado puedo ir al cine con mis amigos, o puedo optar por ir a cenar con mi novia encantadora.

Additional examples: 

  • Mariah found herself stuck between a rock and a hard place when she received a big dent to her car; she either had to spend the money and have it repaired, or drive around with an unsightly dent on her vehicle.

  • I'd like to help you but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:









No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario