jueves, 15 de junio de 2017

TODAY'S IDIOM: A BIRD IN THE HAND IS WORTH TWO IN THE BUSH

"A BIRD IN THE HAND IS WORTH TWO IN 

THE BUSH"





Is better to have something that is certain than take a risk to get more, where you might lose everything.

Example: If I were you I'd accept the money they're offering. After all, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Más vale pájaro en mano que ciento volando.

Example sentences:

  • I’ve been offered $150 for my walkman. Should I take it or wait for a better offer? Take the $150. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush / Me han ofrecido $150 para mi walkman. ¿Debo tomarlo o esperar a una mejor oferta? Toma los $150. Más vale pájaro en mano que ciento volando.

  • He says that if we go to Saudi Arabia we could find a job which pays three times as much. But what if we don't find a job? I think we should stay here. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush / Él dice que si vamos a Arabia Saudita podríamos encontrar un trabajo que paga tres veces más. Pero ¿y si no encontramos un trabajo? Creo que deberíamos quedarnos aquí. Más vale pájaro en mano que ciento volando.

Additional examples:

  • I think I'm gonna quit my job; another firm is going to offer me a better job. Are you sure? You probably shouldn't quit unless you know you're gonna get in for sure. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

  • I'm tempted to leave my job and start on my own but I'm worried that I won't be able to make a living, after all a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush






 El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario