lunes, 19 de junio de 2017

TODAY'S IDIOM: (YOUR) HANDS ARE TIED

"(YOUR) HANDS ARE TIED"
 


You can say your hands are tied if you're prevented from doing something that you'd normally have the power or the authority to do.

Example: The president says he'd like to spend more on schools in poor districts, but says his hands are tied by what he calls "budgetary restrictions".

Estoy atado/a de manos.


Example sentences:

  • I'd really like to give you the contract, Mr Gambino, but my hands are tied because of those laws on giving contracts to people with criminal records / Realmente me gustaría darte el contrato, Señor Gambino, pero estoy atado de manos a causa de las leyes que impiden contratar a personas con antecedentes penales.

  • I'm in favor of public health care but my hands are tied. I have to wait for a government decision / Estoy a favor de la atención de la salud pública pero estoy atado de manos. Tengo que esperar la decisión gubernamental.

Additional examples:


  • Some of my students are failing, but my hands are tied by their parents, who can'tadmit their kids need extra help.

  • The new rules have tied his hands.

  • I'm sorry. There's nothing I can do. My hands are tied. 





El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario