viernes, 16 de junio de 2017

TODAY'S IDIOM: ADD INSULT TO INJURY

"ADD INSULT TO INJURY"



Someone adds insult to injury if they say or do something to upset you a second time, after you've already been upset somehow. 

Example: He said my clothes didn't suit me, and then to add insult to injury he said I needed to lose some weight!

Para colmo de males / Peor todavía / Poner sal a la herida.

Example sentences:

  • The bank took back my car, and then added insult to injury by cancelling my credit cards! / El banco se llevó mi coche y para colmo de males me canceló las tarjetas de crédito.

  • After saying Beverly made too many mistakes, Bob added insult to injury by saying she worked very slowly / Después de decirle a Beverly que hizo demasiados errores, Bob le puso sal a la herida diciendo que trabajaba muy lento.

  • First, the basement flooded, and then, to add insult to injury, a pipe burst in the kitchen / Primero el sótano inundado y luego peor todavía una tubería estalló en la cocina.

Additional examples:

  • They got lost in the woods. Then, to add insult to injury, they were out of food.

  • My car barely started this morning, and to add insult to injury, I got a flat tire in the driveway.





El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario