miércoles, 7 de junio de 2017

TODAY'S IDIOM: YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO

"YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO"



To have in one's possession something and be able to use or exploit it; to have it both ways.

Example: I worked at home so I could raise my family and still earn money. It let me have my cake and eat it too.

No se puede tener todo en la vida.

Example sentences:

  • I want to lose weight, but I'm not willing to change the way I eat. You can't have your cake and eat it / Quiero bajar de peso pero no estoy dispuesto a cambiar mi forma de comer. No se puede tener todo en la vida.

  • He works so hard to pay for that fancy house of his that he never has any time to stay home and enjoy it. Yeah, you can't have your cake and eat it too / Él trabaja muy duro para pagar esa casa de lujo de la que nunca tiene tiempo para estar en ella y disfrutarla. Así es, no se puede tener todo en la vida.

Additional examples:

  • Tom wants to have his cake and eat it too. It can't be done. Don't buy a car if you want to walk and stay healthy. You can't eat your cake and have it too.

  • There's an apartment across the street from me, much bigger and prettier than mine, and it even costs less. I'd really like to rent it but I don't want to go to the trouble of moving. You can't have your cake and eat it too.






El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario