lunes, 18 de julio de 2016

TODAY'S IDIOM: PAR FOR THE COURSE

"PAR FOR THE COURSE"



If something is par for the course, it's what you'd expect it to be.

Example: I had an appointment to see my doctor at three but I had to wait an hour. I know waiting is par for the course when it comes to doctors, but it still annoys me. 

De esperar.

Example sentences:

  • Bill hasn't paid his rent on time, but that's par for the course. He's always late / Bill no ha pagado su renta a tiempo, pero es de esperarse. Siempre tarda. 

  • If people say it's "par for the course" when a train arrives late, it means the train is often late / Si las personas dicen "es de esperarse" cuando el tren llega tarde, significa que el tren a menudo llega tarde.

Additional examples:

  • So he went off and left you? Well that's about par for the course. He's no friend.

  • I worked for days on this proposal, but it was rejected. That's par for the course around here.





El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario