jueves, 7 de julio de 2016

TODAY'S IDIOM: ON THE STRENGTH OF

"ON THE STRENGTH OF"



If you do something on the strength of certain advice or information, you do it because the advice or information suggests doing it. 

Example: I saw the movie on the strength of what Rod had said. I wouldn't have seen it if he hadn't said it was good.

Gracias a...

Example sentences:

  • They gave me an interview on the strength of a recommendation from my tutor at university / Me dieron la entrevista gracias a la recomendación de mi tutor en la universidad.

  • Susan got the job on the strength of her previous achievements / Susan consiguió el trabajo gracias a sus logros anteriores.

Additional examples:

  • On the strength of your comment, I decided to give John another chance.

  • On the strength of my testimony, my case was dismissed.




El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario