lunes, 21 de septiembre de 2015

TODAY'S IDIOM: YOU CAN'T WIN THEM ALL

"YOU CAN'T WIN THEM ALL"



Something you can say after you, or someone else, loses a contest or fails to achieve something (said to make losing seem not so bad).

Example: When it was clear that we hadn't won the contract, I tried to hide my disappointment by saying, "Oh well. You can't win 'em all." 

No siempre se gana.

Example sentences:

  • After Terry had lost the match, his wife said, "Never mind, dear. You can't win them all." / Después de que Terry había perdido el partido, su esposa dijo, "No te preocupes, amor. No siempre se gana."

  • I looked at my tennis partner and said, "You can't win 'em all" after we'd lost our match / Miré a mi compañero de tenis y le dije, "No siempre se gana" después de que habíamos perdido nuestro partido.

Additional examples:

  • I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get the job. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

  • "Can't win 'em all," muttered Alice as she left the boss's office with nothing accomplished.




El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario