jueves, 6 de febrero de 2014

TODAY'S IDIOM: HALF A LOAF IS BETTER THAN NONE

"HALF A LOAF IS BETTER THAN NONE"



 
Getting only part of what you want is better than not getting anything.

Example: How did your court case go? Not good. I asked for $500, and the judge only awarded me $200. Half a loaf is better than none. 

Algo es algo, peor es nada.

Example sentences:

  • I only got half the salary rise I asked for, but I took it anyway on the grounds that half a loaf is better than none / Solo tengo la mitad del aumento de salario que pedí, pero lo tomé de todos modos algo es algo, peor es nada.

  • He had asked for a new trumpet but got a used one. Oh well, half a loaf is better than none / Había pedido una trompeta nueva pero nos dieron una usada. Bueno algo es algo, peor es nada.

Additional examples:

  • Albert wanted two dollars for shoveling snow from the sidewalk but the lady would only give him a dollar. And he said that half a loaf is better than none.

  • Half a loaf is better than none and I would rather work part-time than have no job at all.


El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario