miércoles, 26 de junio de 2013

TODAY'S IDIOM: ON THE ONE HAND | ON THE OTHER HAND

"ON THE ONE HAND | ON THE OTHER HAND"



You can say "on the one hand" before describing one of two contrasting ideas, options, or opinions, and then say "on the other hand" before describing the other one. 

Example: On the one hand smokers should have the right to smoke if they want to, but on the other hand non-smokers should have the right to breathe smoke-free air. 

Por un lado | Por otra parte.

Example sentences:

  • On the one hand I love the freedom of being single, but on the other hand the idea of being married and having a family is very attractive / Por un lado me encanta la libertad de estar soltera, pero por otro lado, la idea de estar casada y tener una familia es muy atractivo.

  • On the one hand playing computer games can be a lot of fun, but on the other hand it's easy to waste too much time on them / Por un lado jugando juegos de computadora puede ser muy divertido, pero por otra parte, es fácil perder demasiado tiempo en ellos.

Additional examples:

  • I'm ready to go; on the other hand, I'm perfectly comfortable here. I'll let you know when I'm ready, then.

  • I like this one. On the other hand, this is nice too. Why not get both? 



El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
  

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario