miércoles, 5 de noviembre de 2014

TODAY'S IDIOM: SMELL A RAT

"SMELL A RAT"

 

When we feel that something someone or something is not honest, we smell a rat.

Example: I smell a rat. If John was off from work all week because he was sick, why has he got a suntan?

Sospechar algo.

Example sentences:

  • I think my girlfriend is seeing another man. I smell a rat. She told me she went out with Donna last night, but I saw Donna today and she said she hadn't seen my girlfriend this week / Creo que mi novia está viendo a otro hombre. Lo sospecho; ella me dijo que salió con Donna anoche, pero vi a Donna hoy y me dijo que no había visto a mi novia esta semana.

  • I started to smell a rat when he said he was working late, but when I drove past his office all the lights were off / Empecé a sospechar cuando dijo que estaba trabajando hasta tarde, pero cuando pasé por su oficina todas las luces estaban apagadas.

Additional examples:

  • The first time I smelled a rat was when he said I would treble my money if I invested in his company.


  • Bob had something to do with this. The minute I came in, I smelled a rat. Sure enough, I had been robbed.
 
 
 
 
 
El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario