martes, 17 de diciembre de 2013

TODAY'S IDIOM: BEGGARS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS

"BEGGARS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS"
 
 

When you cannot have exactly what you want, you must accept whatever you can get.

Example: I asked Joe to lend me his bicycle, and he sent me this old, rusty one, but beggars can't be choosers.

Cuando hay hambre, no hay pan duro.

Example sentences:

  • My company gave me free tickets to the ballgame but they are in the bleachers. Oh well, beggars can’t be choosers / Mi compañía me dio boletos gratis para el juego de pelota, pero están en las gradas. Pero bueno, cuando hay hambre no hay pan duro.

  • I would have preferred a house of my own rather than sharing but I suppose beggars can't be choosers / Hubiera preferido una casa para mí en vez de compartirla, pero supongo que cuando hay hambre no hay pan duro.

Additional examples:

  • Look Ed, you better take the job. Sure, the salary they offered is lower than your old job, but in this economy beggars can't be choosers.

  • I needed a car while I was in town and Bart lent me his.  It was a real clunker, but hey, beggars can’t be choosers.


El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario