jueves, 12 de mayo de 2016

TODAY'S IDIOM: BEAT AROUND THE BUSH / BEAT ABOUT THE BUSH

"BEAT AROUND THE BUSH / BEAT ABOUT THE BUSH"

If you beat around the bush, or beat about the bush, you don't say something directly, usually because you don't want to upset the person you're talking to.

Example: I had trouble telling Pedro he'd lost his job. I started beating around the bush and talking about one door closing and another door opening. 

Andarse con rodeos.


Example sentences:

  • Stop beating about the bush. Just tell me what's happened! / No andes con rodeos. Solo dime lo que pasa.

  • It's hard not to beat around the bush when you have to tell someone some bad news / Es difícil no andarse con rodeos cuando tienes que decirle a alguien malas noticias.

Additional examples:

  • Stop beating around the bush and answer my question.

  • Let's stop beating about the bush and discuss this matter.

  • Quit beating around the bush and tell me what you really think about my idea.



El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario