miércoles, 1 de julio de 2015

TODAY'S IDIOM: GO OUT ON A LIMB

"GO OUT ON A LIMB"




If you go out on a limb, you put yourself in a risky position in order to support someone or something.

Example: He knew it could damage his career, but Keith went out on a limb and said he supported the anti-war protesters.

Meter la pata.

Example sentences:

  • I don't think that saying you support gay rights means you're going out on a limb these days / No creo que eso que dices apoye a los derechos gays, significa que meterás la pata en estos días.


  • My sister said that I went out on a limb when I said killing animals for food is murder / Mi hermana me dijo que metí la pata cuando le dije que matar animales para comer es asesinato.

Additional examples:


  • He went out on a limb when he asked his boss for a raise.

  • I don't think we're going out on a limb in claiming that global warming is a problem that must be addressed.


  • Rob Thompson, the producer, admits the series is going out on a limb in that it is quite different to anything else currently on television.




El blog "La cultura del Inglés" es patrocinado por:
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario